Monday 1 February 2016

The Thing in the Fridge

It's been there for six months now. Every time I open the door I try not to look at it. I must have bought it when I arrived.

I think it must have been food once. Something you'd eat, or put into your mouth and chew and swallow. Some kind of vegetable perhaps? Or maybe a bar of something. It's so hard to tell under the foam and mould and eyes.

I try not to look at it, especially when it looks at me.

I wonder if it's actually alive. If it's developed a brain stem, or if it just moves unthinkingly. It wouldn't bother me, except...

...It's growing bigger.

I barely sleep anymore. The heater in my room is on full blast, but I don't dare to take it down, in case the thing comes in. Could it survive outside the fridge? I don't know, but I'm not taking the chance.

I haven't had anyone over in at least six weeks. The last time anyone came over they went into the kitchen together. I don't know if they saw what was in there, but when they returned they looked like they had seen a decomposing food item of unknown origin.

To this day I've never asked them what it did to them, but I received a message the next day. It read simply, "dude, clean out your fridge".

What did it mean? The words haunt me to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment